Thursday, September 20, 2007


Rat snakes are helpful predators of the mice and rats that are pests on the normal homestead. Copperheads are venomous. How can you tell the difference? This was an important thing for me to know because I made a mistake last week. I believed, at a glance , that the snake my kids were pointing out to me was indeed a rat snake and I told them to leave it alone. A bit later, after looking at the pictures that Matt (15) had taken I realized that I was mistaken and had let a copperhead remain alive in close proximity to my children. I truly hope that he has the good sense to head back down into the woods area by the creekbank because, I assure you, it will not happen again! Snakes are important. I appreciate the lack of rats and mice in this house due to a particularly large black racer that lives under the house, and a rat snake that lives under the barn. I despise the fact that people kill snakes for no reason and then complain about being over run with mice and rats...But a mistake like i made could well be dangerous. I have 6 kids at home, and 3 of them are under the age of 8. While the bite of a copperhead might not kill and adult it could kill my 32 lb four year old. The know not to mess with snakes but you never know when they are going to come on one unexpectedly. I researched and now I know...and this property just ain't big enough for both of us, pardner.

read more | digg story

2 comments:

Wendy said...

Sorry I've been gone, Marye, this has been the week from heck.

Anyway, this reminds me of the time I let my oldest go visit a friend, back when she was eight. I don't think she'd ever even seen a snake once in her life at that point. When the other mother brought her home, the woman told me that while the kids were playing in the yard, mine turned to her and said, "Wow, look at this huuuge worm!" Yes, it was a copperhead. And she was holding it!!!! Thank GOD it didn't haul off and bite her! (Maybe it was too stunned by someone actually being goofy enough to touch it? lol)

Rechelle said...

Uh....Uh - I am sorry to say this Marye - but snakes and I... well we don't mesh. I would never be able to kill one because I would be screaming and running away like a crazy person, but in my fantasy life...I kill them all.